As I've mentioned in my previous post entitled "Cupcake Obsession", Black Bottom cupcake is one of the cupcakes that I wanted to try so badly. I've tried making the cupcakes on Friday night and they turned out superb! Credit to The Hummingbird Bakery Cupcakes and Muffins, Recipe text ©Tarek Malouf & The Hummingbird Bakers. :)
I adore this recipe a lot and I thought that I should share it with you guys... Jom Baking!
Ingredients and Steps
This recipe will get you about 24 cupcakes
For the chocolate base:
380g/ 3 cups of plain flour (all-purpose flour)
240g/ 1 cup + 2 tablespoons caster sugar
80g cocoa powder, plus extra to decorate
1 tsp bicarbonate of soda
80ml/ 1/2 cup sunflower oil
3 tsp white vinegar
1 tsp vanilla extract
- In a large bowl, mix flour, sugar, cocoa powder and baking soda with a handheld electric whisk on slow speed until all the dry ingredients are well combined.
- Put the oil, vinegar, vanilla extract and water in a bowl and whisk to combine.
- While the electric whisk is running in the flour bowl, slowly add the contents of the bowl, increasing the speed of the blender as the mixture thickens.
- Continue to beat until all the ingredients are incorporated.
- Spoon the mixture into the paper cases until two-thirds full. Set aside.
For the cheesecake filling:
280g cream cheese
120g caster sugar
1 tsp vanilla extract
a pinch of salt
200g chocolate chips
- Beat together cream cheese, sugar, egg, vanilla extract and salt in an electric mixer on medium-slow speed until smooth and fluffy.
- Stir in the chocolate chips by hand but don't overmix, otherwise the cream cheese will start to split.
- Scoop about 1 tablespoon of the cheesecake filling on top of the cupcake mixture
- Bake in a preheated oven (170 C) for about 20 minutes, or until the cupcakes have an even golden colour on the cheesecake filling.
- Don't overcook, as the cheesecake will become dry and crumbly.
For the Cream Cheese Frosting ( Enough for 24 cupcakes)
600g/4 cups of icing sugar, sifted
100g/6 tablespoons of unsalted butter
250g of cream cheese, cold
- Beat the icing sugar and butter on medium speed until the mixture combines and is well-mixed.
- Add cream cheese all at once and beat until well mixed.Turn the mixer to a medium-high speed
- Beat the frosting until it is light and fluffy for about 5 minutes.
- DO NOT OVERBEAT! As this will make the frosting to become runny.
- When the cupcakes are cold, spoon the cream cheese frosting on top and decorate as you wish.I sprinkled the top of the lovely cupcakes with cocoa powder.
Oh yeah it was my housemate's birthday yesterday...So i actually did the cupcakes for his birthday... Sweet kan.. :p
Happy 26th Birthday Hakim!!!
Hold the cupcake between your fingers...
Put into you mouth and Ngap!!!
Here you can see the three layers of the cupcake..the black bottom base...the creamy cheese chocolate chip filling and the cream cheese topping with cocoa powder... Nikmat woh!!
With the birthday boy!!! Chomeyl kan gambar ni.. :)
Till the next post..
Tschüss und mach's gut!