Delicious dark chocolate cake base topped with creamy marshmallow icing and decorated with crunchy oreo cookies.. Oh just by reading this makes me drool for more.I'm sure you would enjoy this cupcake if you're a sweet tooth like me. :)
Cookie and Cream Cupcakes
Ingredients and steps for the chocolate cupcakesThis recipe will get you 16 regular cupcakes
115g good-quality dark chocolate (50-70% cocoa solids)
85g butter, at room temperature
175g soft brown sugar
2 large eggs, separated yolk and egg white
185g all-purpose flour
3/4 teaspoon baking powder
3/4 teaspoon soda bicarbonate
a pinch of salt
250 ml of semi-skimmed/low fat milk, at room temperature
1 teaspoon of vanilla extract
- Melt the dark chocolate using a double boiling method. Or the easiest way would be to melt it in the microwave using a heatproof bowl. Be careful not to burn the chocolate
- In another bowl, cream butter and sugar until pale and smooth.
- Gradually add egg yolks and beat well.
- Then add the melted chocolate into the mixture and beat well again.
- Sift flour, baking powder, bicarbonate soda and salt in a separate bowl and mix well.
- Stir milk and vanilla extract in a jug and put aside.
- Add flour mixture and milk mixture alternately into the batter, beating well after each addition.
- Lastly, beat egg whites with a clean whisk until stiff peaks have formed and then fold it into the main batter until all is well combined.
- Pour the mixture into papered muffin cases about 2/3 full.
- Bake in a preheated oven (190 celcius) for about 20-25 minutes
- After removing the cupcakes from the oven, leave them to cool slightly.Then remove the cupcakes from the pan to let them cool completely on a wire rack.
Ingredients and steps for the marshmallow icing
150g fine sugar
80g golden syrup (I used pancake syrup)
1 1/2 tablespoons water
2 large egg whites
1/2 teaspoon vanilla essence
- Put the sugar, syrup and water into a saucepan and cook on high heat until bubbles in the mixture start to stick together. This could take about 2 minutes on a high heat.
- Once it reaches that stage, remove the mixture from the heat.
- In another bowl, whisk egg whites until soft peaks start to form.
- Now, with the mixer on low speed, slowly and evenly pour the hot sugar mixture into the bowl.
- Continue beating on low speed until all the hot sugar is in the mixing bowl.
- Increase the speed to medium and continue beating until the mixture becomes thick and glossy.
- Add vanilla essence at the end of the mixing process.
- When the cupcakes are cold, spread the marshmallow frosting on top and decorate as you wish. I halved the oreo cookies and stick it on top of the icing. You can also decorate the cupcakes with crushed oreo pieces.
Till the next post...
Tschüss und mach's gut!