I'm not sure about you guys, but I'm the type of guy who would not go for rice that often.I like to vary the food I eat...Varying from rice to noodles to potatoes to bread to pasta and the list goes on and on...
I have tried making three simple great western dishes that I would like to share with you guys.As usual, I got most of the recipes from my favourite website, allrecipes.com and other websites on the internet.I then modify them a bit here and there according to the reviews and my own preferences. Lets get started, shall we?
Creamy Macaroni and Cheese
Homemade Mac & Cheese..Say no no to ready-made ones..
2 cups uncooked macaroni
75 gram butter (5 tablespoons)
3 tablespoons all-purpose flour
1 teaspoon salt
1/2 teaspoon pepper
2 cups of milk
2 cups of shredded Cheddar cheese
1/4 cup of processed cheese ( ex : velveeta) Mozarella and parmesan mix together are also nice
2 tablespoons dry bread crumbs and 1 tablespoon butter
This recipe is suitable for a 1-1/2-quart baking dish (about 8 x 8 inch).The baking dish I used was bigger so I made a bigger portion of the recipe.The amount of cheese is actually up to you.If you like the mac & cheese to be cheesy and not too dry, put in more cheese and milk.
- Cook the macaroni according to the directions on the package.
- In a saucepan, melt butter over medium heat while stirring in flour, salt and pepper until smooth.Add milk gradually. Bring the mixture to boil and keep stirring for 2 minutes or until it thickens.Reduce the heat.
- Add both of the cheeses into the mixture, stir until they are melted.
- Drain the macaroni and transfer it to the baking dish.Pour the cheese mixture over the macaroni.Mix it well.
- Melt one tablespoon butter and add in bread crumbs.Sprinkle this over the top of the macaroni.
- Bake at 375 degrees F (190 degrees celcius) for 30 minutes or until the top is golden brown.
- Eat and say Mmmhhhmmmmm...sedapnye...
Spaghetti with creamy white sauce
It should look a bit like this...
But the one I did turned out looking pale cuz I didn't have basil and parsley..hee
250 gram spaghetti or the portion for 4 person
1/2 cup butter ( 115g )
1 package cream cheese (225 g)
2 teaspoons garlic powder
2 cups milk
3/4 cup (180g) grated parmesan cheese
1/8 teaspoon black pepper
a dash of nutmeg powder (1/8 teaspoon)
basil for decoration
- In a medium saucepan, melt butter over medium heat. Add cream cheese and garlic powder, whisk until smooth.Add milk gradually, whisking to smooth out lumps.
- Stir in parmesan, pepper and nutmeg.When the sauce has reached desired texture, remove it from the heat.Sauce with thicken rapidly.If you like you sauce to be a lil bit watery, add milk.
- Pour the sauce on the pasta and serve.Top it with basil or parsley.
Whisking is better then just stirring to make the sauce smoother.Make sure you have a whisk with you.Don't use high heat.Don't worry if the butter and cream cheese did not blend smoothly,after adding milk it'll become smoother and creamy.If you think the sauce is a lil bit too sour, add milk and a lil bit of salt.
Creamy Mashed Potatoes with Gravy
Mashed potatoes with brown sauce
6 medium potatoes, peeled cubed
1/2 cup warm milk
1/4 cup butter ( 60g) , melted
3/4 teaspoon salt
dash pepper (1/8 teaspoon) add more according to your preference
1 1/2 tablespoons sour cream
- Place the potatoes in a pot.Cover the potatoes with water, add a bit of salt and bring to boil.Cook for about 15 - 20 minutes or until the potatoes are tender.Check by piercing the potatoes with a fork.
- Drain the potatoes. Mash the potatoes until slighly smooth.
- Add milk, butter, sour cream, salt and pepper. Continue to mash until light and fluffy.
- Taste for seasoning.If you think it's too salty add milk.If it's a bit tasteless add salt or paper.I normally don't follow the exact recipe and just go on trusting my taste bud in adding salt and pepper.Hee..
- Your mashed potatoes can now be eaten on it's own.
Use warm milk does make a lot of difference.It makes it creamy and delicious.
There are so many recipes for the gravy, but i would go for this one based on the reviews.
Ingredients for gravy:
4 tablespoon butter
2 chopped onions ( bawang besar)
1/4 cup all -purpose flour
2 cups chicken stock (or use maggi cube)
1/2 teaspoon black pepper
1 teaspoon salt
- In a large saucepan, melt the butter and cook the onions over medium heat for 12 to 15 minutes, until the onions are lightly browned.Make sure the onions are well cooked.
- Whisk in flour into the pan, then add the salt and pepper.
- Cook for about 2 to 3 minutes
- Add hot chicken stock and cook uncovered for 4 to 5 minutes, until the sauce thickened.
- Add 1 tablespoon of heavy cream if desired.
- If you like the sauce to be darker brown, add a bit of soya sauce.
So there you have it...recipes for a great dinner..Have fun cooking!!!
Till the next post, Tschuess und mach's gut!!!