Friday, April 27, 2012

Pergamon Museum - Collection of Classical Antiquities

I have to confess something. I'm not really the museum kind of guy. I don't like spending my time in the museum, reading descriptions of the antiques bla bla bla.Before going to Berlin, I asked my friend about the places that I should visit when I'm there.He mentioned about the Pergamon Museum saying that it's really worth visiting .And I'm gonna say this...The Pergamon museum has got to be the best museum I've visited so far.


There are so many things for you to gaze on here.Interesting artifacts, reconstructions of  archaeological  ensembles, magnificent artworks just to name a few.. The Pergamon museum houses three important collections of the Staatliche Museen zu Berlin namely Collection of Classical Antiquities, Museum of the Ancient Near East and Museum of Islamic Art.I spent about 3 hours plus in the museum just by going around, exploring these three great collections and I wasn't really reading much on the descriptions.Instead, I was having fun taking photos most of the time and listening to the audio guide as I walked from one room to another.You'll be amazed by the things you'll see here.It's beyond your expectations!

I'm gonna write at least two posts on the Pergamon Museum.I'll start by writing about the first collection which is called the Collection of Classical Antiquities.This collection mainly display the Greek and Roman architectural structures.The main attractions in this collection would be the Pergamon Altar and the Market Gate of Miletus. Here are the pictures to show what this collection has to offer.. Enjoy!!!

A map showing the location of the ancient Greek city, Pergamon

Entering the hall you'll  be amazed by the structures of Greek gods displayed on the walls
I'm gonna write a special post on the Greek gods later on.. :)

Say hi to Neno

and me!

The famous Pergamon Altar 

Museum model of the presumed form of the altar in antiquity

The reconstructed Pergamon Altar in Pergamon Museum, Berlin

Comparison between the Model and Reconstruction

 We were mesmerized by the beauty of the Pergamon Altar...such a magnificent structure...

Greek ancient statues
Paintings of the Olympic gods and the creatures they defeated

Telephos Hall

Will the real Nabil Aizat please stand up? :p

Reconstructed entranceway to the Pergamene Athena temple

The sanctuary of Athena, the sophisticated goddess of Wisdom and Arts

The entrance to the Market Gate of Miletus

The glorious Market Gate of Miletus

Oh just look at the details on these structures..very impressive!

Tak sah la kalau xde gambar posing2 depan ni kan...

Mosaics in front of the Miletus Gate

Mosaic of an Alexandrine parakeet from Pergamon

Balcony - Market Gate from Miletus

Carved stones and structure at the Market Gate of Miletus

Model town of the Market Gate of Melitus

Ancient Roman artifacts - carved stones and sculptures


 That'll be all for now.
I'll write about the other two magnificent collections in the upcoming post...
Stay tuned! 
Tschüss und mach's gut!

8 comments:

shera said...

wahh bestnya kalau dpt pegi.. macam real je..

your favourite jane said...

tengok semua ni terus teringat movie Immortals :D

Paklung Tony said...

yeah it is really an awesome museum, you are right...

but do you really think it is better then the british museum?

Nabil Aizat Abdul Rahman said...

to shera:
best sangat..memang teruja tengok structure besar2 ni...

to A flying unicorn:
Haha..agak la kan..terus terasa nak tengok blaja pasal greek mythology..

to Tony:
I really like this museum..its just my opinion though..

Paklung Tony said...

I did not say its a bad one lah... just asking if you think british is better or not? Just interested to know the reason why you dont like british =)

Nabil Aizat Abdul Rahman said...

to tony:
wait a minute..did i say i didnt like British? i just said i really like this museum..and it's the best that i've visited so far..there are a lot of other great museums such as the Louvre museum in Paris...so yeah..

sully86 said...

nabs: where is your roman attire? pakai jer, jangan malu malu..Anyways this is what I call a real museum. Awesome stuff.

Paklung Tony said...

you didn't say that, but you sounded like that in your reply to my first comment... no offense, ya mate?